Johnson State College is located in scenic north-central Vermont, home to some of the best skiing and outdoor recreation in the East. We are a leader in high-impact education that takes students into the laboratory, the field and the community through internships, research, study-away experiences, collaborative projects, civic engagement and other career-building opportunities.
We offer more than 50 undergraduate and graduate programs on campus, with signature programs in health and environmental sciences, behavioral sciences, education, wellness and alternative medicine, and the fine and performing arts. Off campus, our award-winning External Degree Program offers online courses and weekend-only classes in four Vermont communities for students who are completing a bachelor’s degree.
JSC aspires to be Vermont’s premier public liberal arts college. Our programs blend career-focused study with the breadth and depth of the liberal arts, developing skills in critical thinking, teamwork and sensitivity to diverse cultures and perspectives – the skills most valued by today’s employers, based on a 2012 IBM survey of corporate CEOs, general managers and public-sector leaders around the globe.
- Founded in 1828, originally as a teacher-training school
- Scenic, 350-acre hilltop campus with majestic views of the Green Mountains
- 14 academic buildings, 4 residence halls, 50-unit College Apartments
- 20 percent of students from states other than Vermont
- Newly renovated student center, athletics and fitness center, science building, dance studio and visual arts center
- 15 NCAA Division III varsity sports (7 for men, 8 for women) competing in the North Atlantic Conference
- On-campus snowboard terrain park, disc golf course and hiking trails
- Nestled in the Green Mountains in north-central Vermont
- Near the ski resorts of Stowe, Smugglers’ Notch and Jay Peak
- Less than 1 hour from Burlington, 2 hours from Montreal, and 3.5 hours to Boston by car
- Named among the “Top 100 Most Affordable Small Colleges in America” (bestvalueschools.com)
- Vermont’s only college to offer domestic and international exchange opportunities through the National Student Exchange
- Nationally recognized alternative-break and service programs
- 4+1 M.B.A. program with Clarkson University
- Partnership with Vermont Law School streamlines entry into graduate and/or law school with $15,000 annual scholarship
- Comprehensive First-Year Experience program incorporates a common reading initiative with “Creative Audience” programming and living/learning communities
- Master’s degrees in counseling (4 tracks), education (4 tracks) and studio arts (M.F.A.)
- JumpStart and Early College programs enable high school students to earn tuition-free college credits